Kathleen Duerksen, MD
- Facial and Eye Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Tumescent Body Liposuction
- Director, Annual International (AAO) Facial Fillers and Neurotoxin Physician Training Course
- During a consultation, it is my goal to listen and examine carefully and then fully explain the various treatment options. I want to provide people with the information they need to choose the care that is right for them.
- I enjoy both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, treating many patients who have "baggy" and wrinkled eyelids, necks and faces. In addition to surgery, I use lasers, fillers, and Botox for facial wrinkle and skin surface improvement.
- Botox has been part of my practice since 1988. Neurotoxins such as Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport are great for treating eyelid and facial wrinkles and spasms. (Visit BotoxCosmetic.com) Ask us about Restylane and the many other exciting F.D.A. approved wrinkle fillers that last from 6 months to 2 years! (visit Restylane's Website) We love Radiesse, Juvederm, Restylane Lyft, and Voluma for filling deeper wrinkles. Belotero and Restylane Silk are 2 newer fine line fillers. Voluma and Sculptra can last up to 2 years! Healthy young skin contains collagen that gives it volume, flexibility and strength. As part of the aging process, our own natural collagen breaks down, diminishing facial volume. This loss of elasticity and volume results in the wrinkles, facial lines, and skin laxity that rob our skin of its youthful appearance. (visit Radiesse) We carry Obagi and Nia24 Skin Care products. The Obagi Nu-Derm System penetrates below the surface of your skin to transform skin cell functions at the cellular level and correct the damage. (visit Obagi)
- A portion of my practice is devoted to reconstructive plastic surgery after skin cancer removals. I also correct mal-positioned eyelids resulting from aging or trauma. I commonly diagnose and treat problems with excessive tearing.
- For liposuction/liposculpture, I use the tumescent technique. This method is far superior to the previous technique. Tumescent liposuction is an outpatient procedure done without general anesthesia. There is little bleeding and few people need pain medication after surgery. Very fine instruments (canulas) are used to remove the fat so the end result can be much smoother and more symmetrical.
- I grew up in Iowa City, Iowa, as did my husband, who is a science teacher. We enjoy skiing, biking and hiking. I play the violin in a community orchestra.
- I began my undergraduate studies at Goshen College in Goshen, IN, and completed them at the University of Iowa. In addition to my science courses, I continued to study the violin and play with the symphony. I also taught private violin lessons while at Goshen College. One of the highlights of my college education was a semester spent in Seoul, Korea, studying the language and culture and living with a Korean family.
- I completed medical school at the University of Iowa College of Medicine in 1985. My surgical emphasis internship was in Denver, Colorado. We then moved to Miami, Florida, for my ophthalmology residency at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. My plastic surgery training was obtained in Albany, New York. Orkan G. Stasior, M.D.,F.A.C.S., was my preceptor for two years.
BOARD CERTIFICATION/SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, Fellow, 1997
- American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (Facial/Dermatologic), 1997
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow, (F.A.C.S.), 1996
- American Society of Oculofacial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS), Fellow, 1993
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 1991
- Arizona, Washington State (inactive), New York (inactive) and Florida (inactive).
ACADEMIC TEACHING APPOINTMENT
- I am currently a member of the clinical faculty of the University of Arizona, Department of Ophthalmology. This has involved working with the residents in surgery and lecturing to them on various plastic surgery topics. I have also served as a medical student preceptor.
- I have previously been on the clinical faculty of the University of Washington College of Medicine in Seattle, WA and Albany Medical College in Albany, New York.
- My office business hours are from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The after hours office phone line is answered 24 hours a day, every day.
- Our office is located 5979 E Grant Road, #115, Tucson, Arizona, 85712
- On Friday mornings I do surgery on the northwest side of town.
Please feel free to call for a cosmetic consultation or for further information. We look forward to seeing you!
**please do not email directly to ****, as it may not be secure or encrypted